IF RUMORS HOLD TRUE: the standard version of the best selling ever European brand hatchback will be torn from American clutches after this year. The non-confirmed yanking of the just launched standard Volkswagen Golf Mk. 8 comes on the heels of a bittersweet global Farewell and Auf Wiedersehen to the historic Beetle runabout last summer. However, the potential Stateside loss of the standard Golf Mk. 8 could be more lamentable. It is the standard by how all other compact hatchbacks have been and are judged. Although Wolfsburg has promised a Mk. 8 Golf GTI and R future, either can be too pricey or too much overkill for many.
SAY IT WON’T BE SO: Come join in on what may be standard Hare’s final dash here. It’s the sportback which editors described as “…the Paradigm for shift it yourself warmed Fahrvegnügen,” in Roadblazing.com’s 2019 VW Golf Bottom Line Review.
- Stout 184 lb-ft of torque at a mere 1500 rpm
- Sublime shifter rowing of standard 6-speed manual gearbox
- Swift clutch pedal engagement
- Wide gear ratios for effortless commuting
- 36 combined miles per gallon
- 500+ miles fuel tank range
- MQB platform gets the real deal full independent suspension
- Tautly communicative but then forgiving handling
- Steering is a gem of precision and weighting
- Road, wind & drivetrain noise nearly luxury car absent
- Door thuds about as solid as on any Audi
- While plenty brisk, lower horsepower rating noticed at 7/8ths throttle
- Low all-season tire dry grip
What It Has Got:
- Low price: from $24,110 (incl. destination) for a 6-speed manual 2020 Volkswagen Golf TSI. Add $800 for the 8-speed automatic transaxle.
- Nothing else in its class is built as solid
- Enormous hatchback opening utility
- Tall greenhouse for tremendous view outwards.
- Comfortably fits 4 adults their stuff for a weekend.
- Sliding / variable height front center armrest
- 6.5″-inch Composition Color display
- Above par standard feature set
- Heated mirrors, front seats, headlamp washers
- Keyless comfort entry, ignition
- Cruise control
- Power windows full express x 4
- Android Auto, AppleCar Play and MirrorLink phone projection
- Acceptably good safety features & ratings
- IIHS Good across the board
- Driver assist tech included
- Collision avoidance pre-braking, blind spot & rear cross traffic warning
- 4 year / 50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty includes 2 years maintenance
What It Has Not (or Not Preferred):
- Only monospec for 2020 [because it’s an outgoing model]
- Base price +$4295 (=20%) vs. base VW Jetta
- Seat cushions on firm side
- Low cabin material contrast
- No adaptive cruise control or lane keep steering
- USB-C x 1 power port necessitates adapters for USB-A cables
- 2 years / 22k miles shorter warranty from 2019 MY
Standout Cool Feature(s):
- Oversized tilt and slide power moonroof
Entry level 2020 Volkswagen Golf TSI = perfect example of affordable inimitable goodness and utility on the verge of being squandered in the U.S.