(Contributing Editor: George Straton)
“I can see clearly now” isn’t something most drivers can recite while driving through rainy downpours. Twisting the windshield wiper dial to high speed seems to just make more “Splish Splashing.”
For years acetone derived coatings have been applied to make windshields “Fearful of Water” or hydrophobic.
While acetone products are inexpensive, they can simply endure only so many storms, car washes, salted snow melt episodes and the Sun’s powerful ultraviolet radiation.
In recent years “Nano Coatings” have been touted as more enduring hydrophobic windshield protection.
Roadblazing.com was recently asked to sample one of the latest nano coatings.
Dr. Beasley, no relation to Mrs. Beasley, Buffy’s bespectacled doll on television’s “Family Affair”, supplied us with a complimentary package of their nano coating Glass Serum Kit.
Roadblazing.com supplied the car windshield.
THE DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
- Wear Latex gloves for protection.
- Use a glass cleaner to clean the exterior glass, followed by Glass Coating Prep to pick up any remainders.
- With the suede cloth wrapped around the foam block applicator, apply several drops of Glass Serum to the cloth and start with vertical strokes down the glass and then horizontal, completing a crosshatch pattern.
- After ~10 minutes, wipe down glass with a clean microfiber cloth.
- After application, it is suggested the car not be driven for 1 hour and not washed for 7 days.
The Glass Serum holds up to three years of durability.
The coating can be reinforced with Dr. Beasley’s AdvanceCoat: Glass windshield fluid additive. Note: It is not included with the Glass Serum kit.
- Water beads in tiny droplets
- Force of wind aids in dispersion of water from windshield
- Windshield wipers are effective at low speed in downpour
- Lacks overwhelming odor of acetone hydrophobic products
The Could Be Better:
- Acetone products produce larger dispersing water droplets
- Initial external windshield condensation which dissipates with AdvanceCoat treated wiper fluid
Dr. Beasley’s Glass Serum Kit can be purchased from Dr. Beasley’s website at an M.S.R.P. of $74.99. The Advance Coat windshield fluid additive is available separately for $24.99 for a 4-pack.
The Glass Serum Kit includes:
- 1oz Glass Serum
- 2oz Glass Coating Prep
- 1 Foam Block Applicator
- 2 Suede Cloths
****The manufacturer provided a courtesy sample of the product used in this review. Roadblazing.com makes no warranty representations other than those by the manufacturer.****